What is Skilled Nursing? Everything You Need to Know
When it comes to exploring your options for skilled nursing facilities for yourself or a loved one, there’s a lot you need to know. Skilled nursing is complex, high-level medical care provided under the supervision of a team of medical professionals, including doctors, nurses and specialists. Skilled nursing typically involves short- or long-term nursing care in a hospital, rehabilitation center, or skilled nursing facility. The skilled nursing facility may be within a senior living community that offers independent living and a full continuum of care.
Skilled nursing care can include any of the following:
- Wound care
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Management of chronic diseases, chronic illnesses, and debilitating conditions or disabilities
- IV therapy
It’s common for individuals to need some form of short-term skilled nursing care when recovering after a surgery or procedure to build up strength before returning home.
Benefits of Short-Term Skilled Nursing Care
While some seniors prefer to return home after a hospital stay immediately, there are many benefits to short-term skilled nursing care. The professional services, individualized attention, and insurance coverage are all reasons to seriously consider choosing short-term skilled nursing care for yourself or your loved one.
Here are some often-overlooked additional benefits to opting for short-term skilled nursing care in a senior living community:
- Reduced risk of rehospitalization. After being hospitalized for a serious injury or fall, there is always a risk of rehospitalization. Skilled nursing care can minimize this risk by helping you build back your strength before returning home.
- Specialized interdisciplinary therapy. Many senior living communities offer short-term or long-term rehabilitative care that focuses on physical, occupational and speech therapies.
- Around-the-clock care. You benefit from around-the-clock care and support as needed.
- Personalized care and assessments. You receive ongoing progress assessments and enjoy a personalized level of care that helps you thrive.
- Dietary support. Diet is important when recovering from an injury or illness. With nutritious meals provided, you can maintain a healthy diet throughout your recovery journey.
Skilled Nursing Care in a Full-Service Senior Living Community
Full-service senior living communities offer various levels of living that may include independent living, assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing/rehab. Such communities provide a wide range of amenities and services to appeal to those in every level of living. The emphasis is on whole-person wellness and a vibrant lifestyle; the community does all it can to help each resident maintain their independence for as long as possible. And those who need short or long-term care at any level will find the care and support they need right on the same campus.
Whether you’re a long-term skilled nursing resident or a short-term skilled nursing guest, these communities provide everyone with comfortable accommodations, assistance with activities of daily living, and targeted therapies and treatments to improve quality of life.
At Autumn Leaves in Dallas, TX, we take an individualized approach to care with a personal touch. Our staff is highly trained and dedicated to helping residents feel a sense of independence, respect and dignity. In addition to skilled nursing care and therapies, we also provide:
- Transportation to doctor appointments
- Weekly wound physician visits
- Pain management and rehab assistance on-site
- Continuing education and training for staff members
Our skilled nursing facility is ready to meet your needs by supporting you or your loved one with whatever assistance you need.
Explore Skilled Nursing Care at Autumn Leaves
At Autumn Leaves, our resident-centered team provides short-term rehab guests with personalized care and support through every stage of the recovery journey. We’re also here to talk to you and your loved one about long-term skilled care needs. The goal is to create a consistent, comfortable experience that all our skilled nursing residents and guests can rely on.
If you or your loved one is looking for a skilled nursing facility near you, call 214-328-4161 or contact us today to learn more about the skilled nursing care at Autumn Leaves.